Saturday, December 5, 2009

Shoot Me Now. Please.

For the last couple of months I have been dealing with some dental issues. I saw the traveling dentist here in Faro in the middle of September. I had a cavity fixed and an old filling repaired, both on the right side of my face, top and bottom. That dentist did such a horrible job that my teeth on the other side couldn't even touch when I bit down. So on our East Coast vacation I saw another dentist who filed it all down. I was in a lot of pain at the time, and that dentist said it was just from the right side banging down. Okay. We get home from our east coast vacation and the pain persists. So I head into Whitehorse to see another dentist. Turns out the dentist in Faro did a really shitty job. One tooth he had worked on now required a root canal. And the filling he fixed? Will it isn't fixed at all and need to be done again. The three hour root canal ended in me learning that my tooth was shot and the whole molar had to be pulled. I almost cried in the chair. It doesn't help that the freezing doesn't work well on me and I can feel a lot of what they do to me.

So that was over a month ago that my tooth was pulled. I had an appointment for the 18th of this month to go back and get that cavity dealt with. But the pain was getting to the point that no amount of tylenol or ibuprofen was helping. Matt (thank god I married a nurse), brought me home penicillin on Friday figuring I had some sort of infection. But by Friday night the whole right side of my face was swollen and I was bawling my eyes out in pain. Luckily Matt was on call so he went down to the health centre to get me fixed up. A call to the emergency doctor in Whitehorse and he came home with lots more drugs for me. I am now on two antibiotics, Tylenol, ibuprofen, and Demerol. Even with all of that I am still in a lot of pain. I cannot chew anything, drink anything hot/cold, and the cold air outside is excruciating when I breathe in.

I am absolutely miserable. Although, last night after two Demerol pills I was loopy as all hell and could barely walk to my room at 1am. Hurray for a double dose of the happy pills. As of now I have an appointment for Tuesday with my dentist to see what can be done. I have to call Monday morning because I heard that a dentist cannot do any work if there is an infection. I have my fingers crossed that this concoction of drugs does the trick

Another crappy point- I have now used up my allotted dental insurance money so everything from here on out I have to pay out of my own pocket. I wish I had never seen the dentist here. His screw ups are costing me a heck of a lot of money.

Drugs!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Your post made MY mouth start to hurt! There's almost nothing worse that a toothache, I'm thinking of you!

In Iqaluit said...

Oh Kara, that's awful! I hope you feel better soon.

Fawn said...

Oh, man, Kara. I hope things get better soon. :(

Anonymous said...

I would try getting some documentation from the good dentists that state the work shitty dentist did was sub-par and then I'd go present that to the shitty dentist and tell him he can just pay the bills to fix your teeth properly, from whichever proper dentist you choose to have the work done with. Tell him it will be cheaper than you taking him to court for such shitty work.

Anonymous said...

How horrible. I had to get a root canal redone a couple years ago because the first one came out. Hope the whole mess get sorted out for you.

freckles said...

So sorry to hear that you are going through this, Kara. I'm sure that once you have the follow up with the dentist in Whitehorse things will start to feel better. I hope your mouth feels back to normal soon.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you may have dry socket. My husband had it, several years ago when he had a tooth pulled.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Nope, not dry socket. The hole healed quite nicely! But I wonder if there is something in there causing this infection.