Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Jobs

On top of being a mom, I do a bit of other work. It is a tie between job #1 and #2 for the title of "Favorite Job".

Job #1:
I work for a company that makes student study guides for Canada and the US. I have been reviewing and creating work for them and loving the work. I am learning the ropes slowly, but am always excited to see what they have in store for me next. I usually do about 3 hours a day when I have work from them. Right now I have finished what I was working on and am waiting for more work. Love love love this job.

Job #2:
My sewing. My mother is a seamstress and I swore I would never sew a stitch. Damn. My baby booties seem to be a hit and are being sold online now at Due North Delivery in Whitehorse and also by the Midnight Sun Gallery in Whitehorse. A place in Dawson City is selling a couple and the visitor centre here in Faro also sells them. So far still just one size, but I have orders in for bigger ones, so I hope to get started on them this weekend.

Job #3:
Tutoring a girl here in Faro over the summer. Good fun and only a few hours a week. Keeps me on my toes!

Job #4:
By far the most disgusting job I have ever done. The school has hired me to clean and organize their science lab and storage room. Teachers are horrible; they are evil little packrats that store everything away because you never know when it might be useful!!! Well these rooms haven't been cleaned out in probably 20 years. Tonight I set out over 30 bags of garbage. I bet I have thrown away over 50 egg cartons. Seriously teachers- if you need an egg carton eat some eggs a week before you need it!!! It is actually an extremely dangerous place as so many mystery items are not labeled and there are chemicals beside matches, open bottles of chemicals, mystery items in beakers, test tubes and bags.... It just goes on and on. Tonights winners were: cheeze whiz on the shelf now brown, rat for dissection but now leaking fluid on to the floor, and drum roll please...... A JAR FULL OF LIQUID MERCURY. Shit. How the hell do I dispose of that?? Well I will be calling environmental health in Whitehorse tomorrow for some advice. And what the hell do you do with heaps (and I mean heaps) of glassware that has had mystery items in it? Can I take it all to the dump? What if one glass jar has remnants of something that will react with another glass jar and KABOOM! Frig-a-roo they are not paying me enough. I think I am going to charge for a gazillion hours for this job. Well at least I am sure this is the most entertaining of my jobs. I think I will bring my camera and show you all what I am talking about....

So I think that is it! Mom is definitely hands above any of these listed. Although tonight I was happy to escape to the school to discover my precious brown cheeze whiz while Matt did bath and bedtime. Hunter is wicked cranky with molars coming in. He has a fever, puked all over daddy at bed time, and was just generally unhappy. Poor gopher.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right about teachers being pack rats. I don't envy your job of cleaning up after them. You tell 'em girl! hehehe...well, I'm not a Science teacher, so you tell 'em girl!

Actually, it sounds like a major (and dangerous) mess to clean up.

Oh, and just so ya know, you've just been tagged! pthththth!

deiss said...

I think you should just find an empty dumpster, stand at the top of the hill, throw the bottles into said dumpster and see what kind of pretty colours and sounds you can make when the bottles smash! Pfffft. Environmental health... pffft. hee hee

Indigo said...

Actually, I think nurses (yes those lovely health care professionals who look and sound so hygenic) take the all time slob award, if living in various nurses residences all over the north for the past 20+ years is an indication. Maybe not the dissected leaking rat but everything else in spades and then some even too disgusting to mention here.

But one thing about it, I have a very interesting and eclectic collection of nursing/medical paraphanalia from all the nursing stations I have cleaned up.

I like the sounds of the first job. Gee! I wonder if they need scanners for health care guides.

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Holy hannah! I'm waiting for those pictures!

Kennie said...

It's not our fault we are packrats! Heck, if my school(s) could guarantee to me that any supply / resource that I would ever need would be available there would be no need for me to store everything incase. But, this is not the world we all live in.

My mom (who is also a teacher) had that job for a couple of years. Essentially anything that is in beakers and you don't know what it is - don't touch it. Hazardous wastes (or some enviro group) should be able to safely dispose of it. Oh, and matches are such a no no in a chem room :-) All I can say is what ever you do, don't poor anything down the drain - kaboom!

Anonymous said...

Guilty....my two little filing cabinets in my class are a nightmare. But at least the biggest danger when facing them is a simple paper cut.

Mercury?! Yikes!

Aida said...

if i was there, i am the one who will volunteer to clean it up with you!! i hate clutter and loves de-cluttering, i might be just right for the job..lol

i get so much pleasure seeing stuff organized..OCD i know

Aida said...

btw, the booties look awesome, i just went on the website. i might figure out a trade with you, it will be neat to see Ben sport some hide/fur booties inside my amauti..that is one picture for keeps..hmmm so i am digging my craft brain here..lol