Sunday, September 2, 2012

Canning and Baking and Gardening! Oh My!

Two-thirds of the way through this long weekend and we have been busy bees!

This is what we have been up to:
One hour bread in the back, canned beets in the middle, and cranberry syrup in the front.  It was supposed to be cranberry jelly, but I used expired certo and it didn't set.  But cranberry syrup on pancakes sounds good to me!

Cavan and I picked 10 cups of raspberries and turned some of them into cakes for us and another family.  The rest went into the freezer for baking with later.

I had a backlog of free Superstore turkeys in my freezer.  I cooked one up on Sunday morning and canned in Sunday evening.  12 pints of delicious turkey all ready for soups, stews and casseroles this winter.

Garden vermin!  Something has been chewing up my carrots and it is not my boys!

I spent hours this weekend moving dirt into all of the new planter boxes on the top and second level.  Now I just have to haul and add some compost to them and wait 10 more months!

Just carrots and potatoes left to harvest.  I have pulled nearly six pounds of potatoes so far with many more still in the ground!
In between all of that we went for walks, bike rides, visited with friends, had friends over for tea, helped a friend move, watched cartoons, drove a load out to the dump, snuck into the sewing room to sew, read more of my zombie novel, played squash, drove quads, and just had a heck of a lot of fun.

Doing all of the jobs that Matt would normally do has had me run off my feet this last week.  But I have gotten an awful lot accomplished!  The house is clean, laundry is done, the yard is ready for winter, and my garden was a huge success.

I need a cape!

3 comments:

Tara Borin said...

What a productive sounding weekend! Those cakes look great.

What zombie novel are you reading? I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies a couple years ago and loved it!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Tara I am ready the "Autumn" series right now and am hooked! I read "World War Z" this spring and oh my goodness was it every amazing!!

taibhsearachd said...

You truely are Super Woman! Amazing!