Friday, May 27, 2011

Bad Ass Squirrel Hunters

The boys and I spent the day with a good friend of mine and her two young children. These kids have all been playing together their entire little lives and it warms my heart to watch them together. Of course it still also gets my blood pressure up when they all start beating on each other with sticks or throwing sand/rocks at each other, but that is just normal kid stuff, right?

My friend had her .22 out to get rid of squirrels around their cabin. At one point we thought a squirrel was hiding in the wood pile, so she grab her rifle and went to find it. The boys didn't want to miss out on the action. They picked up their own guns (pieces of 2x2 and a super-soaker) and headed out squirrel hunting.

I loved every single moment of it. My brother and I started using our guns (bb guns and then .22's) first on squirrels. My mother had it out for all squirrels since we lived in a cedar house and they loved to chew on it. By the time I was 10 and my brother 8, I am pretty sure there wasn't a squirrel in a five mile radius of our home. We moved up to grouse and I shot my first deer when I was 14. Since then I have shot a number of deer, a moose and even a caribou.

It won't be long before these boys trade out pieces of wood and super-soakers for bb guns and my friend will never have to worry about a squirrel again!

Quillian taking a break while hunting:

BadAss Cavan looking for action:

Hurry mom! We hear a squirrel!!

Over the bridge and out into the wild:

Trouble comes in three's:

My friend Delphine and her trusty .22:

No comments: