Monday, September 6, 2010

A New Challenge

This weekend I spent a heap of my husband's hard earned cash on a large smoked elk hide from a tannery in Whitehorse. It is a gorgeous, soft, smelly hide! The cats go crazy for the smell, so I have it in a rubbermaid behind closed doors to keep them away. I am planning on making canvas top mukluks that will look similar to these:


My only problem is that I am nervous to cut into the hide. It was so expensive and I really don't want to screw it up. Ah well, guess I have to learn sometime! Hopefully next week I will be posting a picture of my successful adventure into adult mukluks.

5 comments:

Tigger said...

AWESOME!!
I have a neighbour who wants me to make him some mukluks-but I have only ever made kid-sized ones....not quite sure where to start....any suggestions?
I am making them out of deer, I only have a little bit of my moosehide left and I am hoarding it!!
I guess I will start with adult-sized moc pattern and add canvas to the tops?!?
I can hardly wait to see how yours turn out...sending you happy cutting vibes!!

Jill Spyker said...

You're a rock star Kara! Take it from me, as one who hordes fabric because it's too pretty to cut up... take your pattern, find a nice corner where it fits in Snug and just use those scissors.

P.S. Keep up the great dieting work! You have done SOOO well so far (with the exception of your repeating 5lbs... hehehe) and I can't WAIT to see what you're going to accomplish this fall. Cause I'm watching :) Just so you know.

Lesley said...

I sewed my first real project - a "very easy" sun dress for Clara. It was so hard!!! I am so impressed with what you are able to make!!!

Erica said...

Haha, I went home Sunday night and my cats were all over me from the smell ^_^

I agree with Jill (being a fellow fabric-hoarder), eventually you just have to go for it.

Alexia said...

just saw your delicious family on johanna's blog!