Wednesday, August 11, 2010

By Myself?

In the past three years I have not had a single day to myself. I have had three days spread over those three years where I was able to spend the day with Matt with no kids- two of those days were spent shopping to stock up on supplies while we were down south and the other was the day I was in the hospital waiting to deliver Cavan, so I don't know if that counts!

Three days in three years. That sure isn't much.

I love being a mom, but the lack of me time has been a struggle, especially when we went to having two kids. Last fall and winter I was eating to cope with what I believe now was postpartum depression and I was exhausted all of the time. I thought then that my desire to have more me time was selfish, but I am now coming to realize that it isn't selfish- it is necessary!

My husband is fantastic with giving me a break when I need it. He does most of the bedtime routine with the kids and they spend a lot of time outside with him so I can clean or cook in peace. But that break is never more than an hour or maybe two- enough time to clean and maybe have a few minutes to return emails without a kid in my lap.

Last year a friend here in town started operating a dayhome and I began sending Hunter there once every couple of weeks. It gave me some quality time with just Cavan and I was able to get a lot of house work done while he played with Hunter's toys without fear of his big brother taking them away. I found it worth the money to have that break for a day. Plus I get receipts and can always claim that expense at tax time.

This Friday my friend has space to take two kids and I have been going back and forth on the idea of having an entire day to myself. One minute I am thinking things like why am I wasting money when I don't work, am I not a good enough mom to take care of my own kids, how horrible will Cavan be since he is so sucky for mom right now, maybe I should keep one kid at home and on and on. But then I start thinking that yes I need the break! I have a list of sewing ideas a mile long that I want to try, I want to go fishing without kids, I want to go berry picking without kids, I want to go quadding without kids... Now I know that is more than I can do in one day, but it still gets me excited about eight hours kid free.

Talking with Matt last night he told me I deserve the break. We have decided that once a week I will send one kid to the dayhome and once a month we will try to have both kids go for the day. And on these days I will not spend the entire day doing housework. I will spend time doing tasks I want to do such as sewing. It will cost me about $230 a month, but that isn't a bad price to pay for my sanity!

11 comments:

Megan said...

Good for you.

Breigh said...

Wow, yeah I'd say it's about time. It's not selfish to take time to yourself. I'd say it's better for the kids, they get out and socialize and come back to you refreshed rather than frazzled. Looking forward to seeing the things you've been working on!

How's the diet going? I've switched from WW to low carb, it's challenging but going good so far!

Shelagh said...

I'm so proud of you!!

Erica said...

I applaud this decision ^_^

Carole said...

It's important to take some time for yourself, and it's healthy to boot! If you can afford it, go for it! And quit giving yourself guilt trips and all. I'm sure many moms that work full-time outside the home feel guilty about not being home enough for the little ones. The kids are extremely lucky to have you all to themselves.

Scruffy said...

It's not selfish AT ALL! As someone without kids - I can't even imagine how moms give up ALL their time and yet appear sane... Good for you!

Heather said...

Bring it on Cavan, I can handle you!

Johanna said...

it's so important to give yourself a break. What a great decision, one that will benefit the whole family.

Tina said...

You selfish brat. LOL

Man, I wish I could send my kids away for a full day. I'm super jealous you found someone in your community. And trust me, you need it. I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Heather said...

I'm with everyone else on this! Go for it! Nothing like a day to yourself to fill up your reserves. It'll give you energy to be the kind of mom you want to be the rest of the time! Enjoy!

Morena said...

Great decision. You deserve it, you need it. I bet you feel like a better mom for doing it once it's over. Enjoy your day off!