Sunday, February 28, 2010

Look What I Lost!



Okay, I didn't exactly lose Cavan... but he does weigh 22lbs which coincidentally is how much weight I had lost when I weighed myself on Friday. It was such an exciting moment for me as I also made it under 300lbs (cannot believe I am sharing that number on here!) and breaking that barrier was such a relief.

I had been stressing quite a bit over the last two weeks because I had been unable to make it to the aerobics classes that are offered here. Between a trip to Whitehorse, sick kids, sick adults and Matt on-call the timing just hasn't been working. Plus our kids have been sleeping so poorly that I am heading to bed before 9pm now just so I can nab a few extra hours when possible. After seeing that the weight is still coming off just by managing my eating, I stopped stressing about the aerobics. I am still active because I am chasing two little boys all day! We usually spend time outside each day so I am always on the go.

The focus of this meal plan is measuring serving sizes. I bought a digital kitchen scale in January and it has become my best friend. It looks something like this and was about $50 from Walmart:


I weigh out most everything that I eat and some days it sure is surprising what I would have considered a serving size. Cheese is always the one that makes me sad. I could eat a whole round of brie if you let me. Anyone out there working on losing weight, go out and buy a digital scale and make it your new best friend.

Lots of people have been asking what a day of meals looks like for me, so here is a sample day:

Now where it repeats an item in a meal, what that is allowing is for me to switch out half of something with an alternative if I want more variety. The website also allows me to swap a meal out for something different if I don't like it or don't have the ingredients. It gives a list of alternatives that have similar total calories.

Most days I am not hungry and am finding some of the meals too large- especially the salads. On days when I am craving something sweet I have some of the ready made jello in the cupboard that is just 5 calories a portion. That seems to help me through the day!

Weekends seem to be my downfall right now. The week allows for structured days whereas the weekend has zero structure to the days and we are on the go a lot. I readily admit that for supper on Saturday night I ate homemade chocolate chip cookies. Yep, that was my entire meal. I was making them to donate to a couple of groups raising money around town and they are just so good! I definitely need to keep working on my binge eating episodes, although they are occurring with diminishing frequency, so I am not going to beat myself up over it.

I have now lost 2/5ths of my yearly goal and am almost to the half way point. With ten more months left in the year, I have high hopes of smashing that goal! By the end of March I would like to be down another 8lbs for a total of 30lbs.

As I have said before, and I have to say it again- THANK YOU SO MUCH to all of the people who have been offering encouragement, support, personal stories, recipes and so much more. Most days those little words from people are just what I need to keep going at it and I appreciate it so much.

11 comments:

Aida said...

you are awesome! i am on a plan too, i am doing very well in terms of cutting serving size. congratulations to you!!!

Lindsay Niedzielski said...

Way to go Kara, you really should be very proud of yourself - losing weight is not easy, especially when you dedicate so much of your time/energy into your kids so good for you!!!

Ann said...

You are doing so well. I'm excited for you.
I see you eat lots of peanut butter. Have you tried the ones that are just peanuts - you have to mix the oil in, but they don't have any sugar added. They taste really good too. I'm a big fan of the almond butter myself.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Ann- I usually sub in my favorite which is cashew almond butter! Yum!! And we always buy the sugar free peanut butter.

Anonymous said...

You give me hope that I to can one day take on the challenge to become healthy. Not just lose weight but healthy. Way 2 Go Kara :D

Gayleen

Megan said...

You are doing really really well. The digital scale is a great thing to have on hand. I used one when I was losing weight, and it was incredibly helpful. It is just way too easy to overeat without meaning to. I still struggle with it.

jozien said...

Wow, i find you so amazing!
I had to laugh about the title undrneath this post. I'd like to say: dream small!
And i, i need a dream too.... i dream clean.

Breigh said...

YAAAY!!! Hooray for you :D 22 pounds, wow you are losing quickly! I'm still stuck trying to get that 1 lb off, driving me bananas.

Keep up the good work!

deiss said...

Congratulations Wonder Girl! I am so very proud of you!

Elise said...

Hi Kara

You're right, don't worry too much about aerobics. I am reading the blog of a nutritionist, an excellent blog, and he keeps stressing that the problem comes from what you eat, how much, how, and not from exercise.
Way to go girl!

(the blog's name is Weighty Matters)

Heather, aka: Mum said...

Sick kids & weight loss are something we have in commn....I think they call it "Mother-hood" or something like that...Cheers to slender, healthy days in BOTH our households !