Monday, September 1, 2008

Recipe for Tigger

No, not how to cook Tigger- a recipe for the nifty woman in Hay River, Tigger!

Rosehip Rhubarb Jam

Pick oodles of rosehips. I had 7 cups that got me just under 2 cups of puree- so I would suggest picking at least 8 cups.

Sneak into a neighbours yard and steal lots of rhubarb. At least an armful.

Take all of the tips off of the rosehips and put into a pot. Fill with water until water is just below the line of the rosehips. Bring to boil, then simmer for 1/2 an hour or until soft.

Put rosehip mush through the blender. I have a magic blender from the tv that is awesome for this. Do small batches so you really blend it up good. Then the hard part- removing the mush from the seeds. I pushed it through a fine mesh strainer, but if you have a better way do it go for it. It takes time, is messy, but worth it in the end. Put rosehip puree into pan. You will need 2 cups of puree.

While your rosehips are simmering, cut up rhubarb into 2 inch pieces. Add a little bit of water, perhaps an inch or less to the pan. Bring to boil and then let simmer with the lid on. Stir once in a while until rhubarb is nice and soft. You will need 2 cups of this as well.

Add the rhubarb to rosehip puree and add on package of liquid pectin. Sorry, wish I knew how to do it without. Stir well and bring to a boil. Let it boil hard for one minute and then take it off the burner. *remember to turn burner off- not like me who burned mashed potatoes in a pot the other day.

Then put into jars, wipe top edge of jar clean, add hot lid, screw on screwy part and voila! Just wait to hear those happy little pops as the jars seal!


UPDATE: OH NO!!! I FORGOT THE SUGAR!!! PLEASE ADD 3 CUPS OF SUGAR TO THE PUREES WHEN YOU COMBINE THEM!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara. When I used to help my mom and gramma as a kid to make jelly, we would put the cooked berry juice and seeds into a cloth bag, probably flour sacks. Then we tied them shut and hung them up over a bowl. The juice comes out, the mush and seeds stayed in the bag. Congratulations on new wee spawn. Kayah from NS (Susan)

Tigger said...

Hey! You rock! I will totally try this-once I find a yard with theftworthy rhubarb!! There are huge rosehip bushes along the path where we walk every day...Peekaboo will be thrilled to have something to pick now that the raspberries are done!
Thanks!