We are not having a good weekend in terms of sleep. Actually, the last six months have been horrible. Here is a run down of how much fun we are having:
- waking between 3 and 10 times a night
- will usually not fall asleep for the night unless I boob him
- prefers to sleep on us than in his own bed
- hates to nap more than half an hour at a time
- seems to be having gas/cramps probably related to all the new food he is trying
- is no longer getting booby in the middle of the night as I am attempting to wean him, so he screams at lot with Matt who gets up with him now
- if we let him stay in his crib to cry it out, it just wakes up Hunter and then we are dealing with two screaming kids.
- waking about 3 times a night (or more if Cavan is up screaming)
- having nightmares where he wakes up screaming requiring a lot of cuddles to get back to sleep
- walks and talks in his sleep again requiring gentle reminders to go back to sleep
- we now have a double bed in his room so whichever parent is dealing with him can at least get into bed with him and get some sleep
- gets upset when I put Cavan down for naps and will run around screaming, "Mr. Wiggles wake up and play with me!!!"
- will sleep in until 7am if a parent is in bed with him or 5am if he is on his own
When you are sleep deprived as a parent you do things you swore would never happen, such as sleeping in your kids bed! At this point I don't care who sleeps where, just as long as we are sleeping!
Last night sleep deprivation was compounded by a sick baby and Matt getting called in to work. Cavan was coughing so hard he would yak. He was a super duper spewing machine. I had to change my pajama top three times, and bottoms twice. The floors need to be washed today since throwing a dishtowel at the spots in the middle of night does not count as cleaning up.
While Matt was at work (this was some time after midnight and we hadn't slept yet due to Sir Barfs-a-lot) I was trying to get Cavan to sleep. Just as I got him to sleep on me and was ready to transfer him to the crib, Hunter woke up screaming. By the time I got down the hallway (with a wide awake baby now), he was in my bed and upset that I wasn't there! So we all went to Hunter's bed in hopes of sleep. However, Cavan thought it was play time and jumped all over the two of us. Somehow after half an hour Hunter fell asleep and I returned to the living room to rock Cavan to sleep. Again, just as I get the baby to sleep Hunter starts screaming that he has to pee and that he is scared of the dark. Matt came home to the three of us sitting in Hunter's bed, me near tears, Hunter telling Mr. Wiggles to sleep with him, and Cavan having a hoot playing on the bed.
I took Hunter to bed with me and Matt got to deal with Cavan after that. Hunter fell asleep at 4am, but kept insisting in his sleep that he needed to "sleep with me" which meant that he put his head on top of my head!! I slept off and on until we got up for good at 6:30. I could hear Matt up with Cavan at least one more time and then I got him out of his crib at 7:30.
This week Matt has to go to Whitehorse for two nights while we stay here. I have no clue how I am going to survive even these two nights. With two parents you can each take a kid and a bit of sleep is usually had. I have zero hope for sleep while Matt is gone. I am sure this phase of nighttime fun will end one day. It will... right?
While suggestions are always appreciated, what I really want is for you to just come to my house and watch my kids while I take a nap. Or even better, how about you stay up all night with them while I get eight hours straight! Sound good? When can I expect you?