Monday, May 28, 2012

How Many Steps?

I ordered a FitBit and it arrived last week.  It is a pedometer, but on crack.  Not only does it tell you how many steps you have taken in a day, it tells you how many floors you have climbed, distance walked, and calories burned.

Today is my third day wearing it, and so far I am very impressed with my activity level!  Take today- it is only 2pm and I have already logged nearly 9000 steps (that is 6km), climbed 24 floors, and burned just over 1000 calories.  I walk Hunter to and from school ever day and it looks like that sure helps bump up my numbers.

I had that 10000 steps number in my head as a goal and today I came across this:
Classification of pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:
1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."
3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".
5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active". 


I am probably going to hit the "highly active" status for today since I still have another walk and a squash game for this afternoon.

The idea of me being in the highly active category seems unreal.  Here I was thinking I was still quite sedentary and worried my activity level was too low.  This little gadget sure did boost my confidence in myself today!

**Update**
7:20pm and I am at nearly 17000 steps.  That is 11.5km and I have climbed 37 floors.  Wahooo!

5 comments:

Megan said...

I love my FitBit. I'm usually over 20,000 steps. I am a WALKING MACHINE.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting little device. I would have loved to have had during all the hiking I've done the past couple days.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

Oooh what a great idea!! I want one!

Jaime said...

Cool!! I've seen these at Target and I always wondered what it was. What a neat device.

Morena said...

That's really cool. I'd be embarassed at what it tells me though. Keep up the good work.