Monday, October 26, 2009

Making Our Family Proud

Up until recently the war in Afghanistan was just in the news. I am not a fan of the war and hope our politicians bring the military back home when they say they will. So many men and woman, some so young I want to call them boys and girls, have been lost over the years to this war.

Now this war feels like it is on my doorstep. My cousin, only twenty years old, is there. A member of the First Canadian Scottish Reserves from Vancouver Island is embedded with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. He is part of operation Athena. His unit is Kandek3, Team 3 and he is with OMLT - Operational Mentor Liaison Training. They support the Afghan National Army.

Even though I do not support this war, I most definitely support our troops. I am thinking of my cousin over there doing his job. I think of his parents and girlfriend who are missing him so much. When I think of my cousin, I think of him as that little kid I used to visit in the summers. It is hard to picture him now all grown up facing war head on.

Please support our troops. Right now until early January you can send them mail and parcels for free through Canada Post. Take a little time out of your day and do something special for the men and women who are deployed right now. Let them know you really do care.

And Garrett- we are thinking about you often. Stay safe and we all hope that these coming months pass quickly.

My cousin Garrett on the left. His younger brother Brennan, also a Reservist, on the right.

**Thank you Fawn for your comment! Here is a link for anyone looking to suport the troops through correspondence, parcels, or other donations:
http://www.dnd.ca/site/commun/message/addresses-2-eng.asp

4 comments:

Fawn said...

I'm with you on this. I'm not very supportive of this war, but I do believe in supporting the troops, who have an important role to play for our country.

You suggest sending mail and parcels to the troops... what would you suggest we send if we don't personally know anyone over there? How would you address an encouraging letter? Who would you send, um, Tim Horton's coffee of hand-knitted socks to? What the heck would be appropriate, anyway?

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Thank you Fawn! I put a link up there now for you with the guidelines and information about shipping.

And the do have a Timmies there- so I would think gift cards might me good!

We sent some snack food, like jerky and hard candies, magazines, some movies, gum. I think even just a supportive letter is a great thing to send!

Clare said...

Here's hoping that Garrett stays safe over there, as do the rest of our men and women serving there, and elsewhere.

You might be interested to know that Garrett's regiment, the Canadian Scottish, is the regiment that perpetuates my Grandfather's from the the Great War. He served with the 16th Canadian Scottish.

One company of the Canadian Scottish also was among the first Canadian's ashore at D Day, landing with my namesake's Royal Winnipeg Rifles.

Unknown said...

My uncle deploys early next year to Afghanistan. He'll be flying Chinooks. Maybe he'll end up giving your cousin a ride.

I feel the same way about the entire conflict: troops yes, war no.