Thursday, August 14, 2014

Getting out of that funk

While I have my shit days once every couple of months, I am very thankful that they are not longer lasting.  I have a few days of feeling blue and then I am able to pull myself out with some reflection on the issue, a bit of writing, confiding in friends, and quiet time.   Am I depressed?  I don't really think so.  Do I have anxiety?  Yeah, I think so.  Maybe some body dysmorphic disorder?   

Sometimes I wonder if medications would help, but I really don't think I am at that point.  I think I need more help in techniques to help me realize my bad days, what leads to them, and how to work through them without eating or lashing out at others.  I need to work on having more self confidence.  Trusting that I am loved by those around me.  Feeling strong in my role as a mother, wife, and friend.

I took time with just my family on the weekend.  I caught up on sleep.  Then I came home and got to work in my garden and my kitchen.  Keeping myself busy with my kids and around the house really does wonders for my mental health and general outlook on life.

So over the last few days the boys and I have picked raspberries and made jam.  I have tended to my garden and put up a number of jars of homemade pasta sauce.  We have gone for walks and played board games.  Watched a movie with my husband.  And baked a heap of stuff for a Farmer's Market.  I feel good.

My garden and greenhouse are awesome.

I have now canned 15 cups of pasta sauce.

Gardening really is good for the soul

Some of the bread for a bake sale.

Baking and canning really does relieve stress for me!

3 comments:

Sarah N said...

Tell me your original caption for the red pepper was "gardening is really good for the vagina" Bahahahahaha.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

mahahhah!!! I am not going to be able to look at that pepper the same way, Sarah! ahahahha

Tara Borin said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Kara. It sounds like you're doing all the right things for yourself. :)

Your garden is producing like crazy!