Saturday, September 12, 2009

I miss barge season!

Right now if we were still living in the arctic I would be giddy with anticipation! Barge season (or sealifts for you easterners) has arrived.

Reading through my favorite blogs from across Nunavut is bringing back so many memories. Barge season is better than Christmas. All the goodies you picked out months ago arrive at your doorstep, miraculously it seems, after traveling thousands of kilometers. It was oh so hard to decide what to have as a treat first as you broke into the food supplies that you hope will last the winter.

Along with the food, we always had other goodies arrive. Our first barge season it was our two quads. Other years it was anything from tools to fabric. The house would be a disaster for days as you found home for all the supplies. Nothing like finding room for toilet paper and paper towel to last a year!

Now that we are in the Yukon, this is my second fall with no barge. I miss it, although having a road that I can drive on year round into Whitehorse is pretty darn spiffy. That four hour drive I am sure makes me the envy of many Nunavumuit.

Many people in Faro head into town every couple of weeks for groceries, but after living in the arctic I have no problem only heading in once every two months or so. I am a super shopper now! And I am so pretty creative when the shelves are getting bare.

Enjoy your full pantries everyone and don't drink all of your pop by Halloween!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun...shopping and then storing stuff for a year! This trip to Whitehorse for supplies must seem like a breeze!

Aida said...

we didnt do our sealift order this year..we still had stuff from last year! the anticipation and christmas in september thing is nice but i'd trade that anyday for a road :)

carole said...

I noticed this post on the UpHere blog. Good on ya!