Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Cranes And Sheep Are Here... Where Are You?

The festival is having yet another successful year! We took in some of the festivities today and are blown away by the numbers of visitors to our community. This is turning into quite the popular event. Matt and Cavan took in a breakfast while Hunter and I slept in, later we quadded for a few hours followed by an afternoon nap. Tonight we attended the wild game bbq and stopped into the rec centre to see what was being auctioned off and to eat cake.

This morning, around 9am, a few large flocks of cranes gave the tourists exactly what they came here for.
(This was the view from my side deck)

The cranes just kept coming!

This is a bit blurry since it is super cropped, but I just wanted to show off the size of these birds. You can click on this picture to see it bigger.
They have a wing span of six feet!


Again, click on this one to see it bigger.

We stopped into the Sheep Viewing Station and saw two sheep on the mountain.
Cavan was passed right out!

All smiles.

This afternoon the sky was filled with cranes again! Click on this one to see it larger. It looks like swarms of bugs.

Thousands of cranes overhead!

5 comments:

dogsled_stacie said...

That's so cool! Thanks for posting pics, I gotta make it up there for the festival one year.

jozien said...

Wow! i got exactly what i came here for too.
beautiful photos, amazing birds!

Meandering Michael said...

Yeah, we've gotta come up there to see that (probably in two to three years).

Just me said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all. I love those type of festivals.

Erica said...

I was so busy running around, I barely had time to look up! But after the fire alarm at the Rec, I spent 10 minutes on the tailgate of my truck, just watching them go by...it was great.